The Pavilion, better known as the Lions Den due to the two reclining stone lions, donated by Alderman Robinson, guarding it on either side was one of the original new structures in the park at the opening in 1865.

It was a resplendant structure with ornate pierced ironwork, round arches and corner turrets, its true splendour can be envisaged in the postcard shown below.

As the years took their toll it later took on a simpler style with much of the embellishment removed before it was eventually demolished in 1972. The lions and a stark brick wall are all that remained until the restoration funded by the Heritage Lottery began in 1998.

As can be seen from the photograghs below the mandate was to replicate the original with a new structure, staying faithful to the design and flanked each side by the original stone lions.

A photograph below shows the plaque set into the stone wall recording the re-opening after the restoration in 2002 by Gordon Burns.

Postcard by F. & G. Pollard.
Vatentines Series, Number A9815
Posted 28 Aug 1904 to Miss Walton in Sheffield.

Message reads, "The Lunies" Aug 28th / 04
Dear A,
Thanks for P.C
Hope you have had a nice time at the Isle of Man. We are going to Southport tomorrow.
Kind regards to all A. E. B.

Photograph taken 6 Sep 2007.

Comparable view to the postcard above, of the Lions Den as it now appears, complete with the original stone lions, located on the left side of the Promenade.

Photograph taken 6 Sep 2007.

Front view of the Lions Den, as it now appears, located on the left hand side of the Promenade, again showing the original stone lions and also the plaque detailed below which is just visible in the middle of the rear wall.

Photograph taken 10 Sep 2007.

Plaque sited in the back wall of the Lions Den, celebrating the re-opening after renevations thanks to the Heritage Lottery, presided over by Gordon Burns, a BBC1 North West presenter.

Return to Home Page

This page was last modified on :-