(Best viewed on 800 by 600 screen setting)
The postcard history of the Park is subdivided into sections of choice corresponding to how the postcards have been titled
Park Main Entrance
John Platt Statue and earliest known Oldham postcards
Pavilion or Lions Den
Robert Ascroft Statue
Terrace and Cannons
Blind Joe Statue
Rustic Bridge / Lovers Walk and Limestone Grotto
Duck Pond and Limestone Grotto
Glodwick Road Entrance
Alexandra Park Oldham was opened 29 August 1865 by the then Mayor of Oldham Joseph
Radcliffe and named to commemorate the recent marriage 10 March 1863 of
of Denmark to Edward Prince of Wales.
THE PARK EXPERIENCE
Approaching the Park at the Park Main Entrance, reveals an impressive Lodge built of Yorkshire
stone in the Italian style with a small tower. Two sets of gates are of ornamental cast iron, hung to four
bold stone pillars, one to Queens Road, the other to the Park. Passing through the park gates,
heading forward in an easterly direction for about 70 yards past benches on each side leads up to a
bold flight of steps. Just before the steps to the right is a notable Statue of Emma the flower girl.
Proceeding up the steps, you are presented with a long straight wide pathway where the bottom part up to within 100 yards of the next flight of steps is given the name Promenade by most postcards.
There are three notable features contained in the Promenade section, all on the left side. The first is John Platts Statue, then further on is the Pavillion, better known as the Lions Den on account of the two reclining Lions guarding it on either side, then finally the Robert Ascroft Statue (The Peoples Friend").
The remaining 100 yards of pathway up to the next flight of steps being named, Top Walk.
To the right of the Top Walk, lower down from where the Refreshment Room was, there would have been seven Tennis Courts erected in 1926, which were later moved to the right of the Main Entrance within the Park, where they are today.
Climbing the flight of steps leads to the area designated the Terrace, now barren but in its day, home to an imposing building, the Refreshment Room and also two Russian Cannon, the cannon situated at each side of the steps facing down the Promenade to the Main Entrance.
Turning right at the top of the steps, moving in a southerly direction, the Aviary would have been promenant on the left just a short distance away, another structure long since removed.
Moving forward up to a junction of paths, take the right turn, then fork left along to the Gardeners House, a Gothic Style red brick building, now in use as the Park Office.
Now follow the path around the Gardeners House toward the Conservatory, an impressive glass structured building in three cojoined sections the centre one surmounted by a dome, all on a brickwork foundation, built primarily to house exotic plants.
Then tracing the path left (West) to the Observatory, a Japanaese style structure known as the Pagoda, the base of which in granite and stone contains three insciption panels.
From here take the path round and right (NNR) to the stone Statue of Joseph Howarth blind from birth and known as "Old Blind Joe", a Weslyan Preacher and Bellman of Oldham from 1820 to 1860.
Standing in front of the Statue of Joseph Howarth, and facing (NW) the Bandstand can be seen located within the childrens play area.
Turn leftish (NNW) bearing right (West) at the three path junction and on to the bronze Statue of Rebecca at the Well, renewed and replaced thanks to the Heritage Lottery in 2002 after the original had previously been pushed over and smashed beyond repair in 1956.
Take a slight detour at Rebecca at the Well Statue, turning right (N. Easterly) up Broad Walk where in the middle, with the Lions Den in the distance, is the Park Fountain built of stone having two basins below a boy holding a Dolphin from whose mouth the water issues.
Retracing steps back to Rebecca Statue (S, Westerly), turn right (NW) at the end of Broad Walk, and then over the stone built Rustic Bridge with rustic style handrails and a tree lined underpass known as Lovers Lane or Lovers Walk.
Carry on along the path with the latest Bowling Green on the left and the two original Bowling Greens, the earliest with the Pavilion, on the right.
Two Boulders are located by the earliest Bowling Green on each side of the path, a large one 20T on the right and a slightly smaller one, opposite on the left.
Continue following this path as it curves right between the Boating Lake on the left and Duck Pond on the right, eventually joining the Promenade near the Main Entrance and Emma Statue, where we initially set off.
This Web Site is controlled by a Private Collector. It has no official connection with Oldham Council.
If anyone has any suggestions, comments, corrections, additional information or other issues.
Please contact me at this e-mail address for attention
This page was last modified on :-